2012-2013 Catalog 
    Oct 22, 2021  
2012-2013 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Statement of Academic Policy


  1. Academic Standards Committee
  2. Graduation Requirements
  3. Registration
  4. Grades and Grade Points
  5. Probation,  Suspension, and Dismissal for Poor Scholarship
  1. Suspension and Dismissal for Academic Dishonesty
  2. Leave of Absence and Withdrawal from the College
  3. Readmission
  4. Transfer Credit and Off-Campus Programs
  5. Student Records Policies and Procedures

Statement of Academic Policy Preface

This document describes regulations used by the Academic Standards Committee (ASC) for its decisions, and for the procedures to implement them. The ASC acts within the framework of this Statement at its own discretion and retains the right to change policy in individual cases.

Student Responsibility

It is the responsibility of each student to be aware of and to meet the College’s requirements for graduation, and to adhere to all other rules, regulations, and deadlines published in the CMC Catalog  , the Statement of Academic Policy, the Statement of Academic Integrity , or provided in other information distributed to each student with (pre-)registration materials, including the five college schedule of course offerings. Students are also responsible for insuring that instructors receive all assignments, especially when assignments are submitted electronically, or left for pick-up. New students are required to attend an orientation session on academic dishonesty in general and different forms of plagiarism in particular. All students must sign a statement confirming they are familiar with CMC’s policies and expectations with regard to academic dishonesty.


The Academic Standards Committee is the committee of the faculty responsible for the application and formulation of college policies relating to academic standards and academic integrity. The Committee also reviews students’ petitions requesting exceptions to the college’s academic policies or addressing other questions relating to academic issues. It is also the disciplinary body for alleged violations of academic integrity by CMC students.

Members of the ASC include six faculty members, the Dean of Students, the Director of Financial Aid, the Registrar, the Assistant Dean of the Faculty, and the Dean of the Faculty (non-voting member).

Petitioning the Academic Standards Committee

Forms to facilitate petitions (e.g., incomplete grades, credit-no credit grading, late withdrawals from classes, etc.) may be obtained from the Registrar. All petitions must be sent to the Registrar’s Office for presentation to the ASC. Students should first consult with the Registrar regarding any matter of academic policy, since the Registrar is responsible for interpreting those policies. Students who question the Registrar’s interpretation of specific regulations may petition the ASC to review the matter. Students may also consult the chair of the ASC, the Assistant Dean of the Faculty, the Dean of the Faculty, or the Dean of Students. The ASC will render a decision on all petitions and inform all interested parties in writing.


If the ASC determines that mitigating circumstances warrant, it may make exceptions with respect to policies stated in this publication and related policies in the CMC Catalog .

Students’ Right of Access to the ASC

Students have the right to request action of the ASC or to ask for reconsideration of one of its decisions. Such petitions must be sent to the Registrar’s Office for presentation to the ASC. Petitions are due in the Registrar’s Office by noon on the business day prior to the ASC meeting. To be eligible for consideration, petitions must be complete and should include the following:

1.    A brief description of the action sought by the petitioner.

2.    Justification of the petitioner’s position.

3.    Any documentation relevant to the petition (e.g., medical statements, documentation of evidence, statements of support from witnesses or interested persons, such as counselors, instructors, and so forth).

Information on the schedule of ASC meetings is available at the Registrar’s Office.

Appeal to the Dean of the Faculty

All appeals of ASC decisions must be made in writing, and directed to the Dean of the Faculty, through the ASC. Students first submit appeals to the Registrar, who forwards them to the ASC. If the ASC cannot overturn its previous decision on a petition based on new evidence, the appeal is forwarded to the Dean of Faculty. The Dean of the Faculty may dismiss appeals, refer issues back to the ASC for reconsideration, or take other discretionary actions.

Deadlines and Statutes of Limitation

See this year’s academic calendar for specific deadlines during the academic year. The ASC maintains a 1-year statute of limitation on grade disputes, grade changes, late withdrawals, and incompletes. There is no statute of limitation in cases of academic dishonesty.


Course Requirements

For a CMC degree, students must complete at least thirty-two semester courses of academic work, in addition to the required work in physical education. This means an average of four courses per semester for graduation in four years. At least sixteen courses must be successfully completed while students are enrolled at Claremont McKenna College (CMC) (see Residence Requirement).

A course at CMC is considered the equivalent of four semester hours or six quarter hours. The number of actual hours spent in class or in a laboratory may vary with the subject matter and the level of the course. Transfer credit, summer school credit, study abroad credit and some other credit may also be counted toward the courses required for graduation, in accordance with established college policies.

General Education Requirements

The general education requirements of the College are designed to challenge students to explore new fields, and to improve their verbal and written skills under the conditions provided by the CMC environment. A crucial part of CMC’s education is small class settings with interaction between students and highly qualified faculty.

The general education requirements are described in detail in the CMC catalog. General education requirements, with the exception of the senior thesis, should be completed by the end of the sophomore year.

Normally, general education requirements are completed at Claremont McKenna College. In some cases, courses completed at other colleges may be approved for general education requirements by the appropriate department chairs. Students entering CMC as freshmen (first time college degree candidates) may not complete more than four general education requirements off-campus (in summer school, through Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate programs, during study abroad, etc.). For more detailed information see Transfer Credit and the CMC Catalog .

Senior Thesis Requirement

1.    Students must complete a senior thesis in one of their major areas under the supervision of a faculty reader who teaches within that major, unless granted a special exception. The senior thesis must include a serious piece of scholarship in written form and should serve as a capstone experience to a student’s undergraduate education.

2.    The senior thesis readers will have full responsibility for assigning grades: this includes content, formatting, grammar, style, etc.

3.    Students who have an off-campus major may write their senior thesis in that major under the appropriate course at the major’s sponsoring college. CMC students may use this thesis in lieu of the senior thesis at CMC. If the off-campus major does not offer a senior thesis under its own course number, students must register for the senior thesis at CMC. Students who have a CMC major and an off-campus dual or double major may choose to complete the thesis in either major.

4.    Students will receive one course unit of General Education credit for the senior thesis. Students will earn that GE credit in the semester that they complete the thesis. Departments that wish to offer a 2-semester, 2-unit thesis option may offer a thesis preparation course or thesis seminar course for students who want to do a 2-semester, 2-unit project. This preparatory course may be of variable credit, from 0 to 1 unit, depending on the department’s preference. Departments may make this course as formal or informal as necessary.

5.    Students who wish to write a senior thesis outside of the major must compose a 3 to 5-page (double-spaced) proposal outlining the project they wish to complete, their rationale for selecting a topic outside of their major, and an explanation of how the proposed project serves as an appropriate capstone experience to their undergraduate education. This proposal must be approved by the student’s major department chair, senior thesis reader, and the reader’s department chair. Department chairs may approve proposals for theses outside the major if they determine the project to be an appropriate capstone experience for the student. Students must submit the proposal and all signatures to the Registrar at the time they register for thesis. Students who receive approval to complete a thesis outside of the major will be registered for the thesis course under their reader’s department.

6.    Students must submit their senior theses to the Registrar’s Office in accordance with the guidelines published in the Senior Thesis Syllabus. The Registrar’s Office establishes the due date, distributes the senior theses to readers and applies grade penalties for those who submit their theses after the due date/time according to the following penalty structure: one grade point reduction (i.e., A to A–) for theses turned in up to 24 hours late, two grade points reduction (i.e., A to B+) for theses turned in from 24 to 72 hours, three grade points (i.e., from A to B) for theses turned in from 3–5 days late, additional full letter grade (three grade points) for each subsequent week (5 days) of lateness (or part thereof).

7.    Students who have registered for a one-semester, one-unit thesis may petition the Academic Standards Committee for permission to change to a two-semester, two-unit project if they meet the following conditions: 1. The special petition to extend the thesis project must be filed no later than the last day to withdraw from classes without academic penalty in the first semester of the senior year. This petition is available from the Registrar’s Office; 2. The student must submit a working bibliography, a full outline, and a rough draft of at least one chapter of the thesis along with the petition; 3. The student’s reader(s) must submit a written evaluation of the student’s work including an opinion on whether the student’s request to extend the thesis project is appropriate given the work submitted to date. Submission of the required materials in no way constitutes a guarantee that the Academic Standards Committee will approve the student’s petition. However, students who cannot or do not submit the required documents by the deadline may not petition for a thesis extension at all.

Waiver of General Education Requirements

Requests for waiver of general education requirements may only be granted by the Academic Standards Committee. Such petitions must be accompanied by a recommendation from the department involved supporting the request.

Major Requirements

All students must complete the requirements for a major to graduate. The requirements for CMC majors are listed in the CMC Catalog . Many CMC students complete a dual or double major. For further information on major requirements, see the CMC Catalog . Also, degree progress checklists for each CMC major are available from the Registrar’s Office.

Waiver of Major Requirements

Department Chairpersons have the authority to grant individual substitutions for or exceptions to requirements for the major.

Double Counting of Major Requirements and General Education Requirements

General education requirements in the humanities and social sciences must be completed through courses outside of a student’s major. Students may “double count” courses for general education and major requirements with the following restrictions:

1.    For the general education requirement in the humanities, all students must complete at least two courses in the humanities, selected from foreign literature, literature, philosophy, or religious studies. Students majoring in one of these fields must complete courses in three of the four fields (i.e. two general education requirements outside of the major together with courses in the major field). Students majoring in two of the four fields in the humanities also must complete courses in three of the four fields. In practice, they are allowed to “double count” only one course for both a major requirement and a general education requirement.

2.    For the general education requirement in the social sciences, all students must complete at least one course in three of the following fields: economics, government, history, and psychology. Students majoring in one of these fields must complete a course in each of the four fields (i.e. three general education requirements outside of the major together with courses in the major field). Students majoring in two of these fields also must complete a course in each of the four fields. In practice, they are allowed to “double count” only one course for a major and a general education requirement.

3.    Students with off-campus and interdisciplinary majors, except for Management-Engineering and Science & Management majors, must complete at least a total of six general education requirements in the humanities and the social sciences fields listed above. The appropriate selection varies per major. A list with recommendations is available from the CMC registrar.

Double Counting of Courses in the Major

Students may not count one course for more than one major requirement; i.e. a dual major in history and government may not use a course cross-listed as both government and history for both areas of the major. If two areas of a double major require the same course, students must complete a substitute course for one of the majors. Students may double count a course for a sequence and a major requirement, or for a sequence and a general education requirement, but not for both.

Double Counting of General Education Requirements

One course may not be used to meet two general education requirements. Students may double count a course for a sequence and a general education requirement, or for a sequence and a major requirement, but not for both.

Grades and Grade Point Requirements

Students must earn a final, cumulative grade point average of at least C (6.00), based on all grades received in courses taken while enrolled at CMC during the regular academic year (six times as many grade points as the number of courses attempted at The Claremont Colleges). See Transfer Credit and Off-Campus Programs for information on selected summer school courses which may be counted towards the CMC grade point average.

Students must also earn at least a C (6.00) average in all courses taken while enrolled at CMC during their senior year. With permission of the Academic Standards Committee, students may use their last two full-time semesters together with any part-time work at CMC for the calculation of the senior C.

Finally, students must earn at least a C (6.00) average in all courses taken while enrolled at CMC in their major field(s) of study, whether these courses are required for the major or not. If students retake a course in the major, which they had previously failed, the original F will not be counted in the calculation of the major grade point average. The original F will be counted in the calculation of the cumulative grade point average, and if appropriate, the grade point average in the senior year.

Students with a double major must earn a C (6.00) average in each field of their double major. Students with a dual major must earn at least a C (6.00) average in the combined fields of the dual major. For further information on grades, see Grades and Grade Points.

Residence Requirement

Students must spend at least two years, including the senior year, and successfully complete at least sixteen courses while in residence at CMC in order to earn the Bachelor of Arts degree. “In residence” is defined as being registered as a full-time student (at least three full courses) at CMC or in one of its sanctioned programs. Students who have completed all general education and major requirements and plan to enter 3-2, graduate, or professional programs early may satisfy the residence requirement in one year. The residency requirement for students in the BAMA combined degree program is 20 course units, exclusive of internship credit, including all 8 of the MA courses. The residency requirement for MA students is 8 courses in the one-year program.

Other Degree Requirements

Additional general, major, or departmental requirements as noted in the catalog or as voted by the faculty must also be met. These may include core and major field courses, physical education courses, and comprehensive examinations.

Meeting Degree Requirements

Students must satisfy the general education, degree, and major requirements in effect in the year they enter the College. If requirements are changed in subsequent years, students may choose to satisfy either the requirements that were in effect when they entered, or all of those in effect after the change. However, students who are not registered at the College for two or more years, must satisfy the requirements in effect when they reenter the College.

It is the responsibility of each student to ensure that he or she completes all requirements for graduation. The Registrar issues one complete official degree audit to each student, usually two semesters before anticipated graduation, along with an update at the start of the student’s final semester.

If students need to take a course, which is no longer offered or is no longer offered in its prior format, they may petition the appropriate department chair to substitute an equivalent independent study or to indicate an alternate course.

Courses taken off-campus may not be used to meet general education or major requirements unless students have received written approval from the appropriate department chair in advance. Students are responsible for obtaining such approval, and for giving a copy to the Registrar prior to completion of the course.



Pre-registration for courses scheduled to be offered the following semester is conducted during the second half of the semester. All registered students who plan to return to the College the following semester are expected to participate in pre-registration. The College may prevent students from pre-registering for the following semester if they have failed to meet financial or other obligations to the College.

Changes in Registration: Adding and Dropping Courses

Students are enrolled only in those courses for which they are formally registered. Deadlines for adding and dropping courses are listed on the academic calendar.

During the first ten days of the semester students may add courses usually with permission of the instructor. During the same period, students may also drop courses without instructor permission. After the first 10 days of the semester, petitions for late registration will only be considered by the ASC in very unusual circumstances. Such petitions, with supporting documentation, including a letter of support from the instructor of the course, must be submitted to the Registrar for the Academic Standards Committee.

If a student fails to attend the first two meetings of a course (or one course meeting for courses meeting only one time per week) and the absences were not approved in advance by the instructor, the faculty member of record may ask the Registrar to drop the student from the course. However, students will not automatically be dropped from a course they do not attend. The Registrar may permit reinstatement into a dropped course when documented circumstances beyond the student’s control prevented the student from attending the course and communicating with the instructor.

After the tenth day of the semester but before the final date to withdraw, students may withdraw from courses without grade penalty. Requests for permission to drop a course after the withdrawal deadline will only be approved by the ASC under unusual circumstances. (See Late Withdrawal (W) Grades.)

Students who stand accused of academic dishonesty in a course prior to the withdrawal deadline may not drop that course while the accusation is under investigation by the Academic Standards Committee. This prohibition shall remain in effect should the student subsequently be found culpable. In any case in which a student stands accused of academic dishonesty but is NOT found culpable, he or she shall be given the opportunity to withdraw from the course either within one week of the disposition and notification of the case or in accord with the normal deadline date, whichever is later.


CMC Students register on their own campus for all courses open to them at the other Claremont Colleges. Freshmen or sophomores may register for one course per semester outside CMC. Juniors and seniors may register for up to one-half of their total semester course load outside CMC. Courses in the following areas are not subject to the limitations stated above: Keck Science, lower level languages, Military Science, Africana Studies, Chicano Studies, Theatre, Media Studies (with an MS prefix), Gender and Women’s studies.

Several CMC departments also have arrangements for joint and cooperative programs with departments at one or more of the other Claremont Colleges under which their courses are excluded from cross-registration restrictions. It is, however, the privilege of each individual college to restrict cross-registration in their courses, even if the course is not considered cross-registration under the rules listed above.

Exceptions to cross-registration restrictions must be approved by the Dean of the Faculty.

Course Load

All degree-seeking undergraduate students may pre-register for up to 4.0 units of academic course credit along with up to 0.5 course unit of co-curricular partial-credit courses, such as music lessons, ROTC, Speech and Debate, or theatre performance. Students who have completed at least 3.0 units of academic courses in the immediately preceding semester and who received a semester grade point average of at least 10.50 may overload up to a total of 5 course units of academic course credit during the add period at the start of the semester. Students may not exceed 6.0 units of total credit, including co-curricular partial-credit courses.

Overloading students who receive a low grade notices in any course (except PE) must drop back to no more than 4.0 units of academic credit. These students may remain enrolled in an additional 0.5 unit of co-curricular credit, not to exceed 4.5 total units.

3/2 majors and Science and Management majors may pre-register for 5 academic courses with permission from their major advisor or the Dean of Faculty. Any student requesting an exception to this policy must petition the Academic Standards Committee and present compelling reasons (with appropriate documentation) for the exception.

The minimum full-time course load is three full academic courses per semester. Students who wish to carry less than three courses must petition the ASC in writing for permission to attend the College on a part-time basis. The request should include the reason for the request as well as the student’s plans for completion of degree requirements. Part-time students usually are not eligible for on-campus housing. Students on probation are normally required by the ASC to carry the equivalent of four academic courses.

Repeated Courses

Students may only repeat a course if they receive a grade of F. In such cases, both grades will be included on the transcript. Students may not earn credit for a course when they have already completed another course in which mastery of the subject area is presumed. For example, students who have completed FREN 033 CM  may not subsequently take FREN 002 CM  for credit; students who have completed MATH 031 CM  may not subsequently take MATH 030 CM  for credit. Students who repeat a course or take a course that is a prerequisite for one previously completed, will not receive credit for the second course.

However, the Colleges do offer some courses that have a different context each semester and may be repeated for credit. The catalog descriptions identify these courses. For information on the calculation of a grade of F in the grade point average, see Grade Point Requirements.

Class Attendance

Students are expected to attend regularly all classes in which they are enrolled. Instructors have the privilege of establishing regulations regarding attendance in their classes and may request the Registrar or Dean of Students to intercede if students have serious attendance problems.

Final Examinations

Students should expect final examinations in all courses. Final examinations are scheduled according to a five-college rotating agreement, based upon the day and time courses are offered. Final examination schedules are published prior to pre-registration and cannot be changed by the instructor. (Only the Dean of the Faculty may change final examination times.) Final examination times for courses meeting at non-standard times are arranged by the instructor in consultation with the students to avoid conflicts with other courses. No tests of any kind are to be given during the last week before final exams, except for graduating students in the spring semester.

Students expected to graduate in May cannot take the regularly scheduled finals during the spring semester. Instructors may require these seniors to take final examinations prior to the due date for graduates’ grades. Other (non-graduating) students must take the regularly scheduled final exams in the spring.

Challenge Examinations

New students from high schools without an Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate program (AP or IB), or from high schools with limited AP and IB offerings, may petition the Academic Standards Committee for permission to take a challenge examination and receive credit for college-level high school courses similar to AP or higher-level IB courses. Students may only request challenge examinations in subjects for which CMC grants AP or IB credit. Students who received low scores on AP or IB exams, and students who completed an AP or IB course in high school but did not take the exam, are not eligible for challenge exams.

Interested students must discuss the challenge examination application procedure with the Registrar and submit a petition to the Academic Standards Committee prior to the 10th day of the semester. Challenge examinations must be taken before the last day to withdraw from classes. The ASC will consider all appropriate existing college policies when considering an application for a challenge exam and will ensure existing policies are not violated. Challenge exams do not count toward the residency requirement or full-time status determination. Students must petition for a challenge examination during their first year at CMC.

The ASC will refer approved petitions for challenge examinations to the appropriate department chair, who will make arrangements for the tasks of writing and supervising the examinations. CMC’s academic policies for AP/IB courses and grades will be applied to challenge examinations, and students may not receive credit for more than four AP/IB and challenge examinations. For details, see Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) Placement and Credit. The fee for a challenge exam is $500 per course, payable by cash or check at the time of registration.

Students who are fluent in a foreign language but have not taken a language placement exam during orientation may request the chair of the Modern Language Department to arrange a language competency test. Students who pass this test (with a grade of C or better) will have completed their foreign language requirement. There is no fee or credit for this test and the results are not recorded on the CMC transcript. Foreign students may not take a challenge exam to receive credit for courses in their native language(s).

The challenge exam policies do not affect the right of departments to give oral or written placement tests (without credit) to students interested in enrolling in more advanced courses without having completed all prerequisites. The ASC may offer students the opportunity to take examinations for credit and/or placement when considering transfer credit or other academic requests.

The results of challenge exams are recorded on a student’s official transcript, but no grade points will factor into the student’s GPA. Students may not challenge a give course more than once.

Independent Study

Qualified students may design a course in an area of study not covered in the regular curriculum. Interested students must prepare a full statement of their intended program of study, including a bibliography and an outline of the research or study planned. Independent studies must be approved and supervised by a faculty reader who must meet with the student on a regular basis and supervise the work. Independent studies are taken for a letter grade unless the supervising faculty reader requires otherwise; they may be for a full or for a one-half course credit. Independent studies must result in a paper of substantial length (approximately 40–50 pages for a full unit of credit) unless the faculty reader and the Dean of the Faculty explicitly approve another project. Registration procedures and deadlines for independent study are identical to those of regular courses. Petition forms are available from the Office of the Registrar.

Independent studies will only be approved if there is a valid academic reason for students to take an independent study. Only students with a GPA of B (9.00) or better during the previous semester at CMC may petition for an independent study. Juniors and seniors may not take more than one independent study per semester, unless the Academic Standards Committee grants them permission for compelling academic reasons. Freshmen and sophomores will not be allowed to take an independent study, unless the Academic Standards Committee grants them permission for compelling academic reasons. Independent studies in the area of a student’s major must be approved by the appropriate department chair in advance of registration. Petitions which require the approval of the Academic Standards Committee must be given to the Registrar, in a timely manner, for submission to the ASC prior to the last day to add a course.

Individual faculty members ought not (and untenured faculty may not) oversee more than a total of five independent studies and senior theses per semester. An exception will be made for faculty members who supervise an independent study taken by several students at the same time. Such an independent study will be counted as one independent study for the supervising faculty member.



Final grades are determined by the instructor in each course and may be based on class recitation, class participation, written work, midterms, and final examinations.

Grading System

The College uses the twelve point grading system under which grade points for full courses are assigned as follows:

A 12 points C 6 points
A- 11 points C- 5 points
B+ 10 points D+ 4 points
B 9 points D 3 points
B- 8 points D- 2 points
C+ 7 points F 0 points


Grade Point Average

A student’s CMC Grade Point Average (GPA) is computed by dividing the sum of the grade points earned by the total number of courses attempted (with grade points) while enrolled at CMC. Grade points are only assigned to courses taken by students while enrolled at CMC during the regular academic year, as well as for some courses taken at the other undergraduate Claremont Colleges during the summer.

If the total grade points are less than the number required for a C (6.00) average, the shortage is called the grade point deficiency. For example, a student who has taken seven courses needs to have earned at least 42 (7 x 6 = 42) grade points for a C (6.00) average. A student who has only earned 38 grade points has a deficiency of four grade points.

In addition to the numerical grades, the College uses a number of grades that do not carry grade points and are not included in the calculation of the grade point average.


The BA graduate with the highest cumulative grade point average is named class valedictorian. To be named valedictorian, a student must have taken at least twenty-four courses while enrolled at Claremont McKenna College, not counting CR-NC courses. The class valedictorian is set at the spring semester-end Faculty Meeting at which the Faculty recommends to the Board of Trustees approval of the May graduates. Grade changes submitted to the Registrar after this Spring Faculty Meeting will not affect the determination of the valedictorian, unless the Academic Standards Committee determines that the grade change represents the correction of a gross clerical error on the part of the instructor.

Dean’s List

Dean’s List honors are awarded annually in the summer to BA-seeking students based on academic performance for the previous academic year. Students are eligible for the Dean’s List if their grade point average for the year puts them in the top 15% of all degree-seeking students enrolled at the College for that year. Students who have studied abroad for one semester on an approved CMC program or who enter the college by transfer mid-year are eligible for inclusion. To be eligible, students must have completed 4 full courses for 4 letter grades in each semester enrolled at CMC. Students whose grades include Is, Fs, or NCs, or who have committed academic dishonesty, are not eligible for inclusion. Students may be included on the Dean’s List up to 4 times.

Latin Honors at Graduation

Latin honors are awarded to the top 30% of a graduating BA class, based on cumulative grade point average, as follows: Cum Laude to 22%, Magna Cum Laude to 6%, Summa Cum Laude to 2%.

Credit-No Credit (CR-NC) Grades

The CR-NC option is limited to four courses per student, and one per semester (except for courses which are graded only CR-NC). Courses taken on a CR-NC basis cannot count toward general education requirements, major requirements, or sequence requirements.

Grade points are not awarded for courses taken on a CR-NC basis and courses taken on such a basis are not included in the computation of the GPA. Courses completed with credit are counted toward the total number required for graduation.

The CR-NC option is also used for challenge examinations and internships, except for the semester internship in Washington, D.C. program.

CR-NC petition forms are available from the Registrar. Petitions must be completed and returned to the Registrar no later than the last day to withdraw from classes without penalty.

Courses taken on a CR-NC basis are graded as follows:

CR (Credit): Grade of C or better  
NC (No Credit): Grade below C  


Courses in Progress (P) Grades

This grade may be assigned at the end of the first semester for a two-semester sequence course. It does not indicate whether or not progress is satisfactory. No grade or credit will be assigned until the sequence has been completed. At the end of the second semester, the grade earned for the year-long course will be entered for both semesters.

Students doing a two-semester thesis may select this option for the first semester of their thesis. Interested students must request this option by the tenth day of the first semester of their thesis. Faculty reader(s) must approve and sign the request. Forms are available in the Registrar’s Office.

Incomplete (I) Grades

Students may petition the Academic Standards Committee to grant them a grade of I (incomplete). Incomplete grades are temporary grades and will only be awarded by the ASC when illness or other extenuating circumstance beyond a student’s control legitimately prevents the completion of required work by the due date at the end of the semester. Petitions for incompletes are appropriate when students have actively participated in a course during the semester, but due to illness or other circumstances beyond their control, are not able to complete assignments or exams at the end of the semester. Incomplete petitions are not appropriate for students who have missed a substantial number of classes or assignments, or who have completed all major requirements in a given course. Petitions for incompletes should be submitted before the last day of classes. In cases of serious illness or emergency, the ASC may consider a petition filed after the end of the semester. Incomplete grades are not given simply for failure by students to complete work on time, nor as a means of permitting students to raise grades by doing additional work after the due date for course work or for final grades.

Students are responsible for the completion of the incomplete petition form and for obtaining all required signatures, including those of the instructor and the Dean of Students. All petitions must be submitted with supporting documentation. Incomplete petition forms are available from the Registrar’s Office and the Dean of Students, and should be returned to the Registrar’s Office.

On the petition forms, the instructors must indicate whether or not they support the petition. They also must give an evaluation of the student’s performance in the course up to the time of the petition. In addition, instructors must give a detailed description of the work that needs to be completed and they must specify the grade that will be assigned if the ASC does not approve the petition.

Incomplete grades will be removed and replaced with appropriate grades if all work is completed by the last day to add a class (tenth day) of the subsequent semester, unless the ASC has decided on a different deadline. It is the students’ responsibility to make appropriate arrangements with the instructor(s) so they can complete all assignments on time. If no grade is given to the Registrar’s Office by the due date, incomplete grades are automatically changed to F’s; they are not changed to the grade the student would have received if the ASC had not approved the petition.

If a student has missed a substantial amount of work, the option of a late withdrawal from the course may be more appropriate.

Late Withdrawal (W) Grades

Each semester there is a deadline for withdrawing from a course at CMC. This date is listed in the academic calendar for each term. If a student wishes to withdraw from a course after the deadline, he or she must petition the Academic Standards Committee. The ASC will consider such requests in three situations:

1. If no graded work was received by the student prior to the withdrawal deadline. In this case, the student must submit a petition for late withdrawal within seven days of the time when graded work was first made available by the instructor.

2. If circumstances beyond a student’s control prevents completion of a course. In this case, the student must submit the petition for late withdrawal before the last day of classes.

3. If serious illness or emergency (a) prevents a student from filing a petition before the last day of classes or (b) occurs after classes have ended. In this case, the student must submit a petition for late withdrawal no later than one month into the next semester.

Students are responsible for completing the Late Withdrawal Petition form, including all signatures and required documentation, and for returning the completed form to the Registrar’s Office. Students on probation must indicate this fact on the petition form. Petitions will not be considered without appropriate supporting documentation. Forms are available from the Registrar’s Office and on the Registrar’s website.

If the ASC approves a petition for late withdrawal, the grade of W will be recorded on the student’s transcript. A grade of W does not indicate whether or not a student was in good standing in the course at the time of the late withdrawal.

Pass-Fail (PA-FA) Grades

Pass-Fail (PA/FA) grades are assigned to Physical Education courses (non-credit).

No Grade Submitted (NGS) Grade

The NGS grade is a symbol used exclusively by the Registrar to indicate on official documents the failure of the instructor to submit grades for one or more students. This is a temporary grade that is replaced normally by the final grade assigned by the instructor. This grade may never be used for a graduating senior. It may only be used under extenuating circumstances experienced by an instructor, which prevented the instructor from submitting grades in a timely manner.

Completion of Work

To be counted as work completed in a course and to be calculated in the final grade, all assignments, except for final examinations, must be turned in to the instructors by the last day of classes, unless the instructor requires otherwise in writing. Assignments may not be turned in after the scheduled time of the final examination, unless the student was granted an incomplete in the course.

Grade Changes

Grades may be changed only to correct errors on the part of the instructor. Grades may not be changed because a student completes or turns in work late, unless a petition for an Incomplete Grade was approved by the ASC. No grade recorded for a student at CMC shall be changed after a period of one year dating from the end of the semester in which the course was taken. A faculty request to change a grade that affects any decision made by the ASC must be approved by that Committee.

Instructors who wish to change a student’s grade must inform the Registrar in writing and must include a brief explanation in a signed and dated document.

Grade Disputes

The instructor is the person best qualified to determine grades in a course. However, if a student believes that the assigned grade does not fairly reflect the quality of the work completed, the student may initiate a grade dispute procedure as follows:

1.    The student must first talk with the instructor. If an error has been made, the instructor may submit a grade change in writing to the Registrar.

2.    If, after talking with the instructor, the student is still not satisfied that the work has been fairly appraised, the student may appeal to the Dean of the Faculty. The Dean will then discuss the matter with the instructor and the appropriate department chair.

3.    If a satisfactory conclusion still cannot be reached, the Dean will appoint a committee consisting of the chair of the department involved, a member of the ASC, and a third person chosen from a list of three tenured faculty members submitted by the student. This committee will make a recommendation to the ASC. The ASC will render a final decision, which will be binding on all parties and which will be reported in writing to the Registrar, the student, and the instructor.

Grade Disputes and Academic Dishonesty in Cross-Registration Situations

By actions of the Academic Deans Committee, the policies governing grade disputes in cross-registration situations are as follows:

1.    Students charged with academic dishonesty in a course taken outside their home college shall be tried according to the procedures for handling such cases at the home institution of the student. Faculty members are obligated to accept the decision of the students’ college, and may not impose a penalty should the appropriate hearing panel fail to find guilt. Any student grievance concerning a grade given by an instructor as a result of such a hearing decision will also be handled according to the rules of the students’ home college (ADC, December 23, 1975).

2.    All other disputes and grievances concerning grades are handled by the procedures of the college sponsoring the course (ADC, November 20, 1974).

Low Grades

In order to provide an early indication of students’ performance in courses, instructors are invited, though not required, to submit low grades notices to the Registrar. Faculty are asked to submit low grades for all students whose cumulative work in a course is at a level of C– or below. Low grade notices are normally sent out at the midpoint of the semester, and before the last day to drop a course; copies are sent to faculty advisors and the Dean of Students.

Students receiving low grade notices are strongly urged to consult with their academic advisors as well as with the instructors of the appropriate courses and to discuss any problems relevant to their marginal performance.


All academic work for which students register for credit at Claremont McKenna College becomes part of a student’s academic record and is included on the CMC transcript, unless a student withdraws from a course by the regular deadline for withdrawal from courses.

Requests for transcripts must be made in writing, and bear an original signature of the person requesting the record. Transcripts are issued only when obligations to the College have been paid in full or satisfactory arrangements have been made to do so. The Registrar’s Office does not issue transcripts on demand.

Transcripts are usually issued within a week of receiving a written request. Although transcripts frequently are issued earlier, students must allow up to five working days for the processing of transcripts. Transcripts for currently enrolled students are not issued during the grading periods at the end of each semester. Similarly, at certain busy times the Registrar’s Office may need additional time to process transcript requests.


Academic Probation

BA Students who earn a semester grade point average or a cumulative grade point average of less than C (6.00) are placed on academic probation for their subsequent semester at CMC. Students may also be placed on probation for other kinds of unsatisfactory academic performance, as determined by the ASC.

Students are expected to remove themselves from probation after, at most, two consecutive semesters. Failure to do so may result in academic suspension. Students can remove themselves from academic probation by taking a full course load (equivalent of four CMC courses) with letter grades, and earning a cumulative GPA and a semester GPA of C (6.00) or better.

Veterans and other eligible persons under CFR §21.4253 must remove themselves from academic probation by the end of the second continuous semester (i.e. earn a cumulative GPA and a semester GPA of 6.00 or better). Veterans and other eligible persons who fail to do so will not be eligible for benefits until they are no longer on probation. The Veterans Administration will be notified of the students’ continuing probationary status.

Suspension for Poor Scholarship (Ineligible To Register)

A student may be suspended from the College for poor scholarship for any of the following reasons:

1.    The student’s grade point average for the preceding semester was lower than D (3.00); or

2.    The student has been on academic probation for two successive semesters and would be placed on probation for the subsequent semester; or

3.    The student fails two or more courses in one semester.

Suspensions are normally for a period of one year. During this time, students are not eligible to register for classes at CMC. A notation that the student is suspended for poor scholarship will appear on the student’s transcript for the duration of the suspension. The ASC normally requires suspended students to attend another academic institution, full-time, for a certain period of time, and to meet specified standards of academic performance before they will be considered for readmission.

Students suspended for poor scholarship will not be eligible for readmission until the period of their suspension has ended. Before readmitting suspended students, the ASC has to be convinced that the students have made significant progress in solving the difficulties that caused the poor scholarship. The notation of the suspension is removed from the transcript when the suspension expires and the student has met all requirements for readmission to CMC.

Dismissal for Poor Scholarship

Students who have been suspended for poor scholarship on a prior occasion and are faced with a second suspension for poor scholarship, will be dismissed for poor scholarship. This action is recorded permanently on the students’ transcripts. (Dismissal means a permanent separation from the College.)

Right to Refuse Registration

The College reserves the right to refuse registration to any students for unsatisfactory scholarship and/or other reasons as determined by the ASC.

All policies in this section apply equally to students enrolled on campus and in off campus study programs.


Suspension for Academic Dishonesty

Cheating on examinations, plagiarism, or any other violations of academic integrity usually results in suspension from the College for academic dishonesty. Suspensions for academic dishonesty are for a specific period of time and such suspended students are not eligible to register for classes at CMC. In addition, academic course work taken at other academic institutions is not transferable to CMC. A notation that the student is suspended for academic dishonesty will appear on the student’s official transcript for the duration of the suspension. All CMC students are responsible for being familiar with the rules on plagiarism and other forms of academic dishonesty. For further information, see Statement of Academic Integrity .

Students suspended for academic dishonesty may petition the ASC for readmission to the College after the term of their suspension has expired. When considering such requests, the ASC will carefully examine the students’ conduct since leaving the College, and must be convinced that readmission is warranted by a change in the circumstances that led to the suspension. It is the students’ responsibility to provide evidence and documentation supporting their request for readmission. The notation of the suspension is removed from the transcript when the suspension expires.

Dismissal for Academic Dishonesty

Students may be dismissed from the College for reasons of academic dishonesty. This action is recorded permanently on their transcripts. Students found to have committed academic dishonesty twice will be dismissed from the College. Students may be dismissed on a first offense in particularly egregious cases.

Right to Refuse Registration

The College reserves the right to refuse registration to any students for unsatisfactory scholarship and/or other reasons as determined by the ASC.

Enforcement of Standards of Academic Integrity

The faculty of Claremont McKenna College is firmly committed to upholding the highest standards of academic integrity, and each faculty member has a duty to report suspected cases of academic dishonesty to the College’s Academic Standards Committee (ASC).

Whenever a case of suspected academic dishonesty is reported, the ASC will provide the student with written notice of the charges that have been made and the evidence supporting those charges. The ASC will also accord the student a reasonable opportunity to submit a written response, including a statement identifying any exculpatory evidence or any mitigating circumstances. If the student’s written response disputes the facts underlying the charges, the ASC will conduct a suitable investigation, which may include interviews of the instructor, the student, and appropriate witnesses, as well as any other appropriate fact-finding activity. The student’s failure to submit a timely response to charges of academic dishonesty will not impair the ASC’s ability to investigate or adjudicate the case.

If, at the conclusion of its investigation, a majority of the ASC finds the student to have committed an act of academic dishonesty, the ASC will impose a suitable disciplinary sanction, which may include, but need not be limited to, academic probation, deferment of graduation, suspension, or dismissal from the College. The ASC may also recommend a grade penalty, but the imposition of such a penalty is the prerogative of the instructor. A record of the disciplinary sanction imposed will be retained in the student’s permanent file. Students have the right to appeal the ASC’s decision to the Dean of Faculty using the procedures set forth in Section I. (See Appeal to the Dean of the Faculty.)


Leave of Absence

Regularly enrolled students in good standing (with a cumulative and a semester GPA of at least C (6.00)) may petition the ASC for a leave of absence for any legitimate reason. Leaves of absence must be requested by August 1 for the Fall semester and January 1 for the Spring semester. Petitions must include the reasons for the request as well as the exact semester the students wish to return to the College. A leave of absence may not be for longer than three years. Approved leaves are conditional upon successful completion of the semester in progress. Students petitioning a leave of two or more years may be subject to amended general education or major requirements. See Bachelor of Arts Degree Requirements  for further information.

While on a leave, students may take pre-approved courses for transfer to CMC at another institution. However, the primary reason for the leave CANNOT be to attend another college or university. Students on leave who wish to transfer in credit to CMC must consult closely with the Registrar to guarantee their work is transferable.

Withdrawal from the College

Students may voluntarily withdraw from the College by completing the Withdrawal Procedure form available at the Dean of Students office. Students who do so before July 1 for the Fall semester and December 1 for the Spring semester are entitled to a refund of their security deposit (after appropriate charges have been deducted). For information on other refunds, see the CMC Catalog 

Transcripts of students who withdraw from the College during the semester but before the last day to withdraw from courses without academic penalty will list no course enrollment for that semester. Transcripts of students who withdraw after the last day to withdraw from classes will list grades of W if the student’s petitions for late withdrawal from courses have been approved by the ASC. For further information, see Grades and Grade Points.


Guidelines for Readmission

Students who wish to return to CMC after an absence of three years or less should send requests for readmission to the Registrar for presentation to the ASC. Requests for readmission must be in writing and include a brief statement describing why the students left the College and why they wish to return. Requests for readmission must be received in the Registrar’s Office by March 15 for readmission in September and by October 15 for readmission in January. Deadlines for financial aid applications may precede those required for readmission. Readmitting students who wish to apply for aid will be held to the same financial aid deadlines as returning students. Outstanding financial obligations to the College must be paid in full prior to the return to the college. Students who have been gone from the College for two or more years may be subject to amended general education or major requirements. See Bachelor of Arts Degree Requirements  for further information.

Students who are readmitted must send a $500 commitment deposit to the Registrar by the deadline provided in the notice of readmission. This deposit is non-refundable, but will be applied toward tuition if the students return to the College as scheduled in the petition for readmission. Failure to remit this deposit by the date specified in the letter of readmission will cause the students’ names to be removed from the College roll.

Although each request will be considered on its merits, the ASC has developed the following guidelines:

1.    Students who withdrew voluntarily while in good standing and who maintained an acceptable record during their absence from the College, will receive favorable consideration for readmission.

2.    Students who withdrew while having an unsatisfactory academic record, normally will not be considered for readmission until after an absence of at least one year. Academic or other performance by these students during their absence from the College will weigh heavily in the readmission decision.

3.    Students who have been suspended for poor scholarship will not be considered for readmission until the period of their suspension has ended. Academic or other performance by students during their absence from the College will weigh heavily in the readmission decisions. (See Suspension for Poor Scholarship.)

4.    Students who have been suspended for academic dishonesty may be considered for readmission only after the period of time stipulated in the notice of suspension. (See Suspension for Academic Dishonesty.)

Students wishing to return to the College more than three years after they left the College for any reason, including suspension, must submit their requests for readmission to the Admission Office. The Admission Office will consider these requests together with requests for transfer to CMC.


Transfer Credit Policies

The determination of transfer credit is made by the Registrar according to a standard conversion formula and, if appropriate, in consultation with department chairs. Although each request will be considered on its merits, the following rules apply to all requests:

1.    All courses must be taken at accredited institutions in a context and environment that provides direct contact with regular faculty and degree-seeking college students. At a minimum, the courses must be applicable toward the regular college degree granted by the institution attended.

2.    One CMC course is the equivalent of four semester units or six quarter units. Transfer credit will be converted to CMC credit according to this standard conversion formula, approved by the CMC faculty.

3.    Courses in which students earn grades below C (including C–) are not acceptable for transfer credit. It is the students’ responsibility to provide documentation that they earned grades of C or better for courses taken on a credit-no credit basis at academic institutions outside Claremont, if appropriate.

4.    Grades earned will not be calculated into the CMC grade point average, except for a limited number of courses offered in Claremont during the summer at The Claremont Colleges.

5.    Courses taken off-campus will not meet major or general education requirements unless the appropriate department chairs have given written approval in advance. A course must be the equivalent of at least three semester units or four quarter units to meet a general education or major requirement.

6.    To be considered for transfer credit, courses must be comparable to courses offered by The Claremont Colleges during the regular academic year.

7.    In general, in order to receive transfer credit, students must attend regular classes with college students and taught by college faculty on a college campus. Correspondence courses, “college without walls,” distance learning programs, interactive television, and other programs where students do not directly interact with college faculty and college students are not eligible for transfer credit. No credit will be given for college courses taught at high schools for high school students, or for open-door college courses at community centers. Students who have participated in dual-enrollment programs while in high school should contact the Registrar for more information.

8.    The minimum requirement for transferability of courses from junior or community colleges is transferability to the University of California or comparable out-of-state academic institutions.

9.    For information on transferring credit from summer study abroad programs, see “Summer Study Abroad.”

Information on the College’s policies and requirements for CMC study abroad and other official off-campus programs may be found in the CMC Catalog  and publications from the Off-Campus Study Office.

Course Descriptions

Students must provide written descriptions and, if appropriate, official English translations, of all off-campus courses they may wish to take when they request approval for transfer credit, including the number of units (credit hours). Course syllabi may be required to evaluate course content.

Transcripts for Transfer Credit

Transfer credit will only be granted upon receipt of original official transcripts (not grade reports). It is the students’ responsibility to ensure that official transcripts are mailed directly to the CMC Registrar’s Office by the issuing institutions for transfer credit.

Transfer Credit for CMC Students

CMC students who wish to receive credit for academic courses taken at other academic institutions during the summer or the academic year must discuss this with the Registrar prior to their enrollment.

Transfer Credit and Freshmen

Students entering CMC as freshmen (first-time degree seeking candidates) may request transfer credit for a maximum of four CMC courses (sixteen semester units) for college work completed prior to their entrance at CMC. Such college credit may be granted in addition to a maximum of four credits for Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate exams.

Students who completed college work while attending high school are required to provide written documentation from their high school stating that the courses were not required to meet a requirement for high school graduation.

Students entering CMC as freshmen may not complete more than four general education requirements off-campus (in summer school, through Advanced Placement, study abroad, etc.).

Transfer Credit and Home-Schooled Students

Courses that home-schooled students have completed at colleges are not applicable for transfer credit if those courses are applicable to a student’s high school coursework. Home-schooled students who believe they may be eligible for some transfer credit must meet with the Registrar to discuss whether and/or how college courses might transfer.

Transfer Credit and Transfer Students

There is no limit to the number of courses transfer students may take prior to their enrollment at CMC, but only the equivalent of sixteen CMC courses, including Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate exams, will be accepted toward graduation from CMC. No transfer credit will be given for courses challenged by examination at another academic institution or for placement credit at other academic institutions, even though that institution has given credit.

Transfer applicants must send descriptions of their courses to the Admission Office as part of their application. Upon acceptance, transfer students must provide the Office of the Registrar with official final transcripts of all previously attended academic institutions. Transfer students with missing college transcripts will not be able to participate in pre-registration for the next semester.

Some transfer students may be able to take up to 4 additional GE courses as transfer credit, with the approval of the Registrar and the appropriate department chair. CMC has adopted a sliding scale of how many additional transfer GEs transfer students may take after enrolling at CMC.

# of units transferred to CMC # of additional GEs as transfer


11-14 1
7-10 2
4-6 3
0-3 4


Exceptions to this sliding scale can be arranged if the Registrar, the Dean of Faculty, and the appropriate department chair deem it appropriate. Any transfer student who wishes to take additional transfer credit for GEs after entering CMC must consult carefully with the Registrar and the appropriate department chairperson.

In compliance with the Code of Federal Regulations, CFR §21.4253, CMC requires veterans and other eligible persons to submit transcripts and a DD-214, together with other appropriate documents, to the Registrar for evaluation and, as appropriate, granting of credit for prior training upon commitment to the College. If such documents are not received within two semesters, the students will not be certified for further benefits.

Transfer Credit and Two-Year Colleges

Courses taken at two-year institutions will not be considered for transfer once a student has completed more than 14.5 courses. This means, in practice, that only freshmen can take courses at two-year colleges during the summer.

The minimum requirement for transferability of courses from junior or community colleges is transferability to the University of California or comparable out-of-state academic institutions.

Summer School

Students wishing to take coursework during the summer must obtain prior approval through the Registrar’s Office to assure that such work can be granted credit toward graduation. At the time of approval, the Registrar will inform the students of the amount of transfer credit they may be eligible for. Students should obtain all required approvals before the end of the academic year, because faculty are frequently not on campus during the summer. Forms are available at the CMC Registrar’s Office.

Enrolled students receive information on approvals required for summer study with their pre-registration materials for the fall semester. Summer school courses must be taken for a letter grade with grade points.

Summer Courses Offered by the Undergraduate Claremont Colleges

CMC students taking courses offered by the other undergraduate colleges in Claremont, as part of a regular established summer program, may request to have such courses counted as cross-registration from the students’ point of view. Such requests will be reviewed and approved by the Registrar in consultation with the appropriate department chairs. Requests must be made by the end of the spring semester prior to the beginning of summer school courses. Only summer courses which are similar to courses offered during the regular academic year by the sponsoring institution or which are part of an intercollegiate program, are eligible for consideration as cross-registration from the student’s point of view. Any courses taken at the summer session of The Claremont Graduate University or Keck Graduate Institute are treated as transfer credit.

Summer Independent Study

CMC students may register for a summer independent study with a CMC faculty member. Petitions for summer independent study are subject to the College’s requirements for independent study and must be submitted to the Registrar by June 1. Petitions by students who do not meet the requirements for independent study must be approved by the Dean of the Faculty who may waive restrictions or limitations for compelling academic reasons.

The charges for summer independent study are identical to the charges for a full-unit course (for full-credit), or a half-unit course (for 1/2 credit) during the previous academic year at Claremont McKenna College.

Grades for summer independent studies are due in the Registrar’s Office on the first day of classes of the Fall semester. It is the responsibility of each student to ensure that they give all assignments to their faculty reader in a timely manner. Grades earned in summer independent studies with CMC faculty members are included in the CMC grade point average.

Study Abroad

All students who wish to study abroad or participate in a CMC off-campus program for a semester or a year, and who wish to receive CMC course credit, should discuss their plans with the Director of Off-Campus Study at least a year prior to their first semester of expected participation. CMC will only grant credit for study abroad during the academic year when students participate through CMC’s Off-Campus Study Office.

Summer Study Abroad

Students will only be eligible for credit for study abroad during the summer if both the program and the courses have been approved in advance by the CMC Registrar. Approval by department chairs or faculty does not guarantee credit for summer study abroad. It is each student’s responsibility to submit detailed information on the programs abroad to the CMC Registrar in a timely manner. Credit for summer study abroad is not guaranteed, even if a program is offered by an accredited American academic institution.

In many cases, it is not possible for the Registrar to guarantee transfer credit for summer study abroad programs in advance due to insufficient information. Students must realize that there are a myriad of summer programs abroad designed to attract foreign students. These programs may be offered at or by well-known academic institutions, but they are not part of the regular curriculum of those institutions and are intended to provide travel or enrichment experiences (not necessarily academic experiences). In those cases, the final determination may need to be made by the Academic Standards Committee upon review of materials provided by the student. Summer study abroad at programs reviewed and approved by the Off-Campus Study Committee will receive favorable consideration. No credit will be granted for programs reviewed but not approved by the Off-Campus Study Committee, nor for programs reviewed but not recommended for approval by the Director of Off-Campus Study.


In addition to the regular academic program of study, students enrolled at CMC may petition to receive elective credit for summer or semester internships. Semester and summer internships are typically eligible for one-half course credit. Qualified students may receive full credit for summer internships in economics or in economics-accounting. Internships may be in a variety of sectors including, but not limited to, industry, government, science, or the arts. Students may petition for academic credit whether or not they are paid for their internship work. Students may receive credit for a maximum of 3 units of academic credit for internships while enrolled at CMC, to include no more than 2 units of credit from CMC Off-Campus Study internship programs and no more than 1 unit of academic credit for summer or semester internships. Internship credit is purely elective and may not be applied to major or general education requirements.

To be eligible for 1/2-credit, students must work for at least two months or 60 days, and a minimum of 200 hours. They must also select a faculty reader to supervise the academic portion of their work. The student and the reader must agree on a list of required readings relevant to the internship and on a topic for a final paper to be submitted to the faculty reader. Students must complete all academic assignments required by the reader and submit evidence of superior, conscientious internship performance, including a performance evaluation from the internship supervisor. To be eligible for a full-credit internship, students must meet all of the above requirements, work an additional 200 hours during the 2 month period (400 hours total, typically over 10 weeks) and complete a more substantial research project, as deemed appropriate by the program director in economics or economics-accounting.

Credit will be granted upon timely completion of academic assignments, together with evidence of superior and conscientious performance. Internship registration forms must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office by June 1 for summer internships and by the end of the registration period for semester internships. Assignments are due to the faculty reader no later than the last day of classes for an internship during the regular semester, and no later than the tenth day of fall semester classes for summer internships. Credit recommendations are due by October 1 for summer internships and by the due date for grades for semester internships.

Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) Placement and Credit

At CMC, the granting of credit and/or placement for AP and IB exams has been determined on a subject-by-subject basis by the appropriate departments. Some departments have decided to grant credit and placement for AP and IB exams; others will use test scores for placement but not grant credit. No credit or placement is granted for subject matters not offered at Claremont McKenna College.

The maximum amount of credit students may receive for AP and/or IB exams is the equivalent of four CMC courses. Students cannot receive credit for more than one course or examination covering the same subject matter.

Official copies of transcripts and/or score reports must be received by the CMC Registrar no later than the first semester of the junior year to be considered for credit or waiver.


Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA)

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as amended, (FERPA) is the Federal law which requires educational institutions to establish a written policy with regard to the privacy rights of students. It also requires such institutions to make a statement describing their procedures with regard to students’ privacy rights available.

Claremont McKenna College shall maintain the confidentiality of education records in accordance with the provisions of FERPA, and shall accord all the rights under the law to all students who are or have been in attendance at Claremont McKenna College.


For the purpose of this statement, Claremont McKenna College has adopted the following definitions of terms:

Student: any person who attends or has attended Claremont McKenna College (formerly Claremont Men’s College).

Education records: any record (in handwriting, print, tapes, film, or other medium) maintained by Claremont McKenna College, which is directly related to students. Education records include, but are not limited to, admissions, personal, academic, certain personnel, financial, and placement records.

Education records do not include the following:

1.    A personal record kept by a faculty or staff member, if it is kept in the personal possession of the individual who made the record, and information contained in the record has never been revealed or made available to any other person except the maker’s temporary substitute, if appropriate.

2.    An employment record of an individual whose employment is not contingent on the fact that he or she is a student, provided the record is used only in relation to the individual’s employment. (Employment records of persons who are employed solely as a consequence of College attendance, e.g. work-study students, are education records.)

3.    Records maintained by Campus Security, if the record is maintained solely for law enforcement purposes and is revealed only to law enforcement agencies of the same jurisdiction.

4.    Records created and maintained by physicians, psychologists, or other recognized professional or paraprofessional staff, acting or assisting in a professional capacity, if the records are used only for treatment of a student and made available only to those persons providing the treatment.

5.    Alumni records, which contain information about students after they are no longer in attendance at CMC and which do not relate to the persons as students.

Annual Notification

Claremont McKenna College will notify all registered students annually of their FERPA rights through publication of such in the Statement of Academic Policy, which is distributed to all students every year and is available on the CMC website.

Right of Inspection

Students may inspect and review information contained in their education records upon request to the appropriate record custodian. Claremont McKenna College has designated the Registrar as the staff person responsible for the coordination of inspection and review procedures for student education records.

Request For Review

Students wishing to review their education records must present a written request to the Registrar. The request must identify as precisely as possible the records they wish to inspect.

The Registrar or another appropriate college staff member will make the needed arrangements for access as promptly as possible, and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. Access will be given within 45 days or less from the receipt of the request. When a record contains information about more than one student, the student may inspect and review only the records related to them.

Students have the right to a copy of their education record which is subject to review only when failure to provide a copy of a record would effectively prevent the student from inspecting and reviewing the record, as determined at the discretion of the Registrar. No copies will be made for students living within commuting distance of the College. A copy of an education record otherwise subject to review may be refused if a “hold” for non-payment of financial obligations exists or in case of an unresolved disciplinary action involving the student. No copies of original documents, or of source documents which originate from and exist elsewhere, including any high school transcripts or transcripts from other academic institutions, will be made. Copies are made at the student’s expense and at a fee determined by the Registrar.

Limitations on Students’ Right of Access

Under the law, Claremont McKenna College reserves the right to refuse to permit student inspection or review of the following:

1.    Financial information submitted by parents.

2.    Confidential letters and/or recommendations to which students have waived right of access or which were placed in their files before January 1, 1975.

3.    Education records containing information about more than one student. In such a case, if possible, access will be allowed to the part of the record pertaining to the inquiring student.

4.    Records connected with an application to attend Claremont McKenna College, if the application was denied.

5.    Records excluded from the FERPA definition of education records.

Disclosure of Education Records

No person outside Claremont McKenna College shall have access to, nor shall Claremont McKenna College disclose, any personally identifiable information from a student’s education record, without the written consent of the student, except as permitted by law. The consent must specify the education record disclosed, the purpose of the disclosure, the party or class of parties to whom disclosure may be made, and must be signed and dated by the student. In accordance with the law, Claremont McKenna College reserves the right to disclose education records without written consent to:

1.    “School officials” who have a “legitimate educational interest.” “School officials” shall mean any person who is a trustee, officer, agent, or employee of Claremont McKenna College. “Legitimate educational interest” shall mean any authorized interest or activity undertaken in the name of the College and in the educational interest of a student, for which access to an education record is necessary or appropriate to the proper performance of the task. At Claremont McKenna College this shall include access by personnel in the Offices of the President, Dean of the Faculty, Dean of Students, Registrar, Admission, Alumni, Development, Trustees, CMC Faculty, legal counsel, and any others authorized by the President, to the extent that the foregoing persons are acting within the course and scope of their employment or authority, and access is necessary or appropriate as defined above.

2.    To authorized representatives of the U.S. Department of Education, the Comptroller General, and State and local educational authorities, if the information is necessary for audit and evaluation of federal, state or locally supported programs and only if such agencies or authorities have a policy for protecting such information from re-disclosure and for destroying such information when it is no longer needed for such purpose (unless access is authorized by federal law or student consent).

3.    To persons or organizations providing student financial aid in order to determine the eligibility, amount or conditions of the financial aid, or to enforce the terms and conditions of the award.

4.    To certain officials of the U.S. Department of Education, the Comptroller General, and state and local educational authorities, in connection with certain state or federally supported education programs.

5.    If required by a state law requiring disclosure that was adopted prior to November 19, 1974.

6.    To organizations conducting certain studies for or providing contracted services to the College, provided there is no further external disclosure of personally identifiable information and the information is destroyed when no longer necessary for the projects.

7.    To accrediting organizations carrying out their functions.

8.    To persons in order to comply with a judicial order or a lawfully issued subpoena.

9.    To appropriate parties in a health or safety emergency.

10.  To parents of students under 21 years of age, who are claimed as economic dependents on the federal tax returns of one or more parent.

Record of Requests for Disclosure

Claremont McKenna College will keep a record of all third party requests for and/or disclosure of information from a student’s education record for at least one semester. The record will specify the education records disclosed, the name of the party making the request, any additional party to whom it may be re-disclosed, the date of the disclosure, and the legitimate interest the party had in requesting or obtaining the information, if appropriate. This written record may be reviewed by the student upon request. No record of disclosure is required for disclosures made to a student for his or her own use, disclosures made with written consent of a student, disclosures made to a CMC “official” with a “legitimate educational interest,” or for disclosures of “directory” type information.

Directory Information

At the discretion of the Registrar or the Dean of Students, Claremont McKenna College may confirm or disclose “directory information” to the general public. The College defines “directory information” in accordance with FERPA to include:



      Email Addresses

      Telephone numbers


      Degrees, honors, and awards received

      Date and place of birth

      Major field of study

      Dates of attendance and classification

      Previous academic institutions attended

      Participation in officially recognized activities and sports

      Weight and height of members of athletic teams

Currently enrolled students may request the College not to disclose Directory Information by notifying the Registrar in writing within two weeks after the first day of classes for the fall semester. All written requests for non-disclosure of Directory Information by current students will be honored for the period of one academic year only; therefore, requests to withhold Directory Information must be filed annually. Forms are available in the Registrar’s Office. Alumni may request non-disclosure of Directory Information at any time; such requests will be honored until otherwise notified. Claremont McKenna College assumes that failure on the part of any student to specifically request the withholding of Directory Information indicates individual approval for disclosure.

Correction of Education Records

Students have the right to request to have their education records amended, if they believe the records are inaccurate, misleading, or in violation of their rights. Claremont McKenna College has established the following procedures for requests to change records.

1.    Students who believe that their education records contain information that is inaccurate, misleading, or is otherwise in violation of their privacy or other rights, should first request the Registrar to amend the record. All such requests must be made in writing. When making such a request, students must clearly identify the part of the record they believe is incorrect, and specify why they believe it is inaccurate, misleading, or in violation of their privacy or other rights. It is the responsibility of the student to provide legal documentation (i.e. official birth certificate, court record, or marriage certificate) for requests for name changes. Official College records are not altered, if former students change their names after they leave the College.

2.    If the decision of the Registrar is in agreement with the request of the students, the appropriate records will be amended, and the students will be notified in writing of the amendment. If the decision is not in agreement, the Registrar will notify the students of the decision, and advise them of their right to a formal hearing to challenge the information believed to be inaccurate, misleading, or in violation of their rights.

3.    Within fourteen days after receipt of the notice from the Registrar, students may address requests for a hearing in writing to the Dean of the Faculty. The Dean of the Faculty will, within a reasonable period of time after receiving such requests, inform students of the date, place, and time of the hearing.

4.    The hearing will be conducted by one or more disinterested individuals designated by the Dean of the Faculty. The panel will deliver a written decision based solely on the evidence presented at the hearing. The decision will include a summary of the evidence presented, state the findings of fact, and provide the reasons for the panel’s decision. The decision of the panel will be final. The written report shall be mailed to the students and any other concerned party within 30 days after the date of the hearing.

5.    At the hearing, students shall be afforded a full and fair opportunity to present evidence relevant to the issues raised in their original request to amend their education records. The student may be assisted by one or more individuals, including an attorney, at their expense.

6.    If the College determines that the challenged information is not inaccurate, misleading, or in violation of the students’ right of privacy or other rights, it will notify the students that they have the right to place a statement in their education record commenting on the challenged information and/or a statement setting forth their reasons for disagreeing with the decision. The statement will be maintained as part of the students’ education record as long as the contested portion is maintained. And, if Claremont McKenna College discloses a contested portion of a record, it will also disclose the student’s statement.

7.    If it is determined that the education records at issue are inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the privacy or other rights of the students, the education records shall be amended in accordance with the decision and the students shall be informed of the amendment in writing.

Veterans’ Records

Under the requirements of CFR §14209(f), Retention of Records, the College keeps all records and accounts pertaining to each period of enrollment of veterans and other eligible persons intact and in good condition for at least three years following the termination of the enrollment periods. If the Registrar receives a written request from the General Accounting Office or the Veterans Administration no later than 30 days prior to the end of the three-year period, the College will keep the records longer as requested.