Volume X: Information Technology Services
Chapter E-Mail: Submitting Mass E-Mails to Claremont McKenna College
Approved by: Administrative Computing Committee (ACC)
History: Issued 12/1/2001; Updated 4/28/2006; Revised 4/27/2004, 12/11/2006, 12/14/2009
Related Polices: Acceptable E-Mail Usage, Anti-Virus Policy, Configuration of Out-of-Office Message, E-Mail Distribution Lists, E-Mail Signature Block Standard
Additional References: N/A
Responsible Official: Office of Information Technology Services
To establish the guidelines for accepting and distributing mass e-mails to Claremont McKenna College’s students, faculty, and staff.
Entities Covered by this Policy
This policy covers rules and procedures for distributing mass e-mails via Claremont McKenna College’s moderated e-mail lists.
Direct any questions about this policy to your department’s supervisor. Questions about specific issues may be addressed to the Chief Technology Officer (909-607-1553).
In order to cut down on the number of unsolicited e-mails to our students, faculty, and staff, Claremont McKenna College maintains moderated e-mail lists for mass e-mails under the user name “Inform.” The Information Technology Services group maintains these lists. The ITS group uses the rules outlined in the next section to determine if an e-mail is to be sent out. If there is a message with questionable content, prior to the message being sent, the message is reviewed by the Dean of the Students if going to students, the Dean of the Faculty if going to faculty, and/or by the Director or Human Resources if going to staff.
To send an e-mail to the students, faculty, or staff distribution lists the following e-mail addresses have been established for Claremont McKenna College:
To send an e-mail to all of The Claremont Colleges use the following e-mail addresses:
To send an e-mail to just one college use the following e-mail addresses:
Each college may or may not moderate their lists.
The guidelines for accepting or rejecting an e-mail for distribution at Claremont McKenna College are as follows:
- No Classifieds (for sale, room for rent, lost and found, etc.)
- Must include a specific date for an event (not “next Thursday”)
- Must specify the location for the event
- Provide a contact phone number when possible and appropriate
- Always use your formal e-mail address (i.e. mary.jones@… not mjones@…)
- Do not send “reminders” for events you have already published
- Only Claremont Colleges recognized groups/events are allowed to be posted
- Do not include attachments (If appropriate, we can arrange for public folders for posting of attachments)
- Please submit event information at least 1 full working day before the event
- No direct solicitations.