2017-2018 Policy Library 
    Feb 28, 2020  
2017-2018 Policy Library [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Vehicles, Parking, and Bicycles


The Department of Campus Safety is charged by The Claremont Colleges with the enforcement of the rules and regulations governing the use of vehicles, parking, and bicycles at The Claremont Colleges. The following regulations supplement the Parking and Traffic Regulations published by Campus Safety. It is your responsibility to be familiar with both while operating a motor vehicle or bicycle on the campuses of The Claremont Colleges.

Vehicle Regulations

All motorized vehicles, including but not limited to automobiles, motorcycles, mopeds, and other motorized vehicles (hereafter referred to as “vehicle(s)”) owned or operated by students on campus must be registered with Campus Safety within three (3) days of the vehicle’s arrival on campus.

Freshmen are not permitted to bring vehicles to campus. Please note that upperclassmen are not permitted to register a car for a first-year student. Attempts to do so may result in disciplinary action (including potential loss of future privileges) for both parties.

The College, the Director of Campus Safety, or the Traffic Appeals Committee may withdraw motor vehicle privileges from any College employee or student at any time for cause.

All vehicles parked on The Claremont Colleges’ property must display a valid parking permit or authorized guest parking permit (available from Campus Safety). All vehicles not displaying a valid parking permit are subject to citation and/or being towed. Parking permits should be displayed as described below:

Every registered automobile, whenever on campus, shall display a valid parking permit inside the front windshield on the lower, right-hand corner (i.e. lower corner of passenger side) or on an alternative location approved by the Director of Campus Safety. Guest vehicles must have a guest parking permit similarly displayed.

Motorcycles and mopeds shall have parking permits displayed on the rear fender or if this is not possible, on the left side of the gas tank.

Student parking permits are valid only on the campus for which they have been issued.

Gasoline-powered scooters, mopeds, and motorcycles cannot be stored inside any College building at any time. Vehicles found to be stored in unauthorized areas will be towed and stored at the owner’s expense. 

Registering Your Vehicle

The registration fee is $75 per semester. All registration fees are billed to your student account. Vehicles can be registered online at vehcite.cuc.claremont.edu/vehcite/login.asp. Your vehicle is not officially registered until you pick up the parking permit or renewal sticker from the Campus Safety Office (Pendleton Business Building, 150 East Eighth Street) and affix it to your vehicle. The Campus Safety Office is open 24 hours a day. Vehicle registration is handled from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. daily.

You will need to bring your student ID card, vehicle insurance certificate, vehicle registration, and driver’s license when you pick up your parking permit from Campus Safety. Failure to register a vehicle will warrant a fine/penalty in addition to the registration fee and any accumulated parking ticket costs. Unregistered vehicles may be towed at your expense.

You must register your vehicle annually. Vehicles registered in the fall will automatically be registered for the spring semester and your student account will be billed accordingly. If you decide not to have your vehicle on campus for the spring semester it is your responsibility to let Campus Safety know.

Only one vehicle per student or employee is permitted on campus at a time.

The person in whose name a vehicle is registered on campus shall at all times be responsible for any citation fines or penalties and any liability or damage claims arising in connection with the possession or operation of the motor vehicle on the campuses of The Claremont Colleges.

For vehicles not registered at The Claremont Colleges but found on campus, either with or without permission, the registered owner as listed by the State Department of Motor Vehicles shall be responsible for all fines and penalties incurred and/or any liability or damage claims arising in connection with the possession or operation of the vehicle on campus.

The parking permit issued to a vehicle is valid only for that particular vehicle. Permits are not transferable to another vehicle or person.

Vehicles (including scooters, Segways, motorized bikes, etc.) are not permitted on the interior of the campus.

Special note about mopeds: Mopeds are categorized as motorcycles under the Regulations Governing the Use of Motor Vehicles on The Claremont Colleges and should be registered as such.

Vehicles should not be left in the parking lots at the end of the spring semester.

Be sure to read and be familiar with these rules by reviewing the motor vehicle regulation pamphlet provided to you when you pick up your parking permit sticker; it is your responsibility to know and comply with these regulations.

California State Law Information

California state law regarding vehicle operation:

  • Requires that a copy of your vehicle registration and insurance certificate be carried in your vehicle at all times.
  • Requires both driver and passengers to wear seat belts.
  • Prohibits the use of cell phones without the use of hands-free (e.g., Bluetooth) technology.

Out-of-state driver information (individuals who are between 18 and 22): If you are a full-time student in California between 18 and 22 years old and have a valid driver’s license from your home state or country (your place of permanent residence), you may drive in this state as long as your home state license remains valid. When you establish residence in California, you must get a California State Driver’s License within 10 days or get one immediately when you become a resident and are employed to drive for compensation.

Out-of-state minor driver information (under 18 years old):If you are a visitor in California between 16 and 18 years old, you may drive here with your home state driver’s license for only 10 days after your arrival in California. After the ten days you must have a Nonresident Minor’s Certificate or a California license. A Nonresident Minor’s Certificate permits you to drive in California with a valid home state license. This is issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles to a minor who has filed proof of ability to respond to damages in case of an accident. This proof is usually filed by means of an insurance certificate from an insurance company authorized to do business in California. You may not be employed to drive until you are 18 and have a California license.

The California Vehicle Code Section 23152(a) states, “It is unlawful for any person who is under the influence of any alcoholic beverage or drug, or under the combined influence of any alcoholic beverage and drug, to drive a vehicle.” This law is applicable on private and public property. Violation of this law is a major hazard to the safety of The Claremont Colleges community and will be treated as such. Persons suspected of driving while under the influence, if encountered by Campus Safety personnel, can be turned over to the police for appropriate roadside test and/or arrest.

Operating Motor Vehicles
  • The speed limit on campus streets is 25 miles per hour unless otherwise posted. The speed limit in parking lots is 10 miles per hour. Regardless of posted speed limits, a vehicle operator shall not drive at speeds that are excessive or imprudent for existing road, weather, or traffic conditions.
  • Pedestrians have the right of way.
  • All state and local traffic laws are in force at all times on the campus.
  • All traffic accidents shall be reported as quickly as possible to the Department of Campus Safety.

CMC students are permitted to park in the six parking lots listed below with a CMC student parking permit. Students are not permitted to park in Faculty/Staff designated lots or parking spaces between 7:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Students are not permitted to park in the student lots of the other Claremont Colleges. There are no exceptions.

North Quad/9th Street Lot: Located at Ninth Street and Mills (north of Boswell and Wohlford residence halls) and may be reached from Claremont Blvd (CMC student parking permit required).

Bauer Lot: Located on Ninth Street just west of Claremont Boulevard. This lot contains a limited number of spaces for students who live in North Quad. North Quad residents must have their ID card activated by Story House to access this gated lot (CMC student parking permit required) and may only park in spaces designated for students. The smaller lot directly east of Bauer Center is not for student parking.

Sixth and Mills Lot and Sixth Street Lots: Located on Sixth Street south of the athletic complex (CMC parking permit required).

Student Apartment Lot: Located east of the football field (CMC student parking permit and apartment parking permit required). Only residents of the Student Apartments will be given access to the gate at the entrance to this lot. Guests of apartment residents may park along the west side of Claremont Boulevard (a city street) beginning at 6:00 a.m. and ending at 2:00 a.m. (see overnight parking restrictions below). Overnight parking on Claremont streets between 2:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m. is limited to one hour.

Children’s School/Hammer Throw Lot: Located south of the Children’s School and accessed via Sixth Street (CMC parking permit required).

Visitors must obtain a guest/temporary parking permit free of charge from Campus Safety.

In addition to Campus Safety, the Claremont Police Department and The Los Angeles County Fire Department are authorized to write citations and tow vehicles that are in violation of state and local traffic laws on the campus; this includes, but is not limited to, red zones/fire lanes and handicapped parking areas.

City of Claremont overnight parking restrictions: Only one-hour parking is permitted on Claremont city streets between 2:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m.. The Claremont Police Department will ticket for violations. If you have an emergency, such as your car has broken down, please contact the Claremont Police Department to request a temporary overnight parking exemption.

The following are city streets:

  • Claremont Boulevard
  • First Street
  • Sixth Street
  • 100 Block of East Seventh Street
  • College Avenue
  • All streets west of College Avenue, except the Harrison Lot (between College Avenue and Harvard Avenue)
  • Mills Avenue between Sixth Street and First Street
  • Dartmouth Avenue from Tenth Street to Foothill Boulevard
  • Tenth, Eleventh, and Twelfth Streets west of Dartmouth Avenue
  • Foothill Boulevard

Overnight parking from 2:00 a.m. to 6:00 a.m. is permitted on College-owned streets for vehicles registered with Campus Safety.

Students, Faculty, and Staff are not visitors and will be cited for parking in stalls reserved for visitors. Visitors staying overnight must obtain a temporary permit from the Department of Campus Safety.

Lots and/or parking spaces may be reserved for specific College purposes; all College-authorized permanent and/or temporary signage must be obeyed. Persons authorized to park their cars in said reserved parking spaces may not delegate this authorization to anyone else.

No person shall drive any motorized vehicle, nor shall any person stop, park or leave standing any vehicle, whether attended or unattended, upon the lawn, quad, or areas of any campus not regularly designated as a street or parking lot, except emergency vehicles on official business and as may be necessary to carry out maintenance work.


There is no ticket/citation quota system, and citation fines and penalties are not revenue for the Department of Campus Safety. Citation fines and penalties for violations of parking and traffic regulations will be billed to the student’s account. All persons receiving citations have the right to file a written appeal (with the Traffic Appeals Committee) at Campus Safety. If the appeal is approved, the account will be credited accordingly.

Citations and withdrawal of privileges may be appealed to the Traffic Appeals Committee through the Campus Safety office. To appeal submit a Traffic Citation Appeal form and written statement of the facts surrounding the appeal within ten (10) days of the date the citation was issued. You may appear before the Traffic Appeals Committee in person, if you wish, in addition to your written appeal. Indicate your desire to appear on the appropriate line of the Traffic Citation Appeal Form. If you choose not to appear, the Committee will review and rule on the citation based upon the written appeal and the Claremont Colleges Parking and Traffic Regulations. Decisions reached by the Traffic Committee are final and binding.

Persons with an excessive number of violations/citations will, on determination of the Director of Campus Safety, lose their motor vehicle privileges for The Claremont Colleges. The Director will issue a written warning of his/her intention to withdraw privileges and will give written notice of such revocation when it occurs.

The Director of Campus Safety may cause the removal of a vehicle when a vehicle has received three (3) or more citations per semester. The Director of Campus Safety may cause the removal of any vehicle abandoned on campus or left on the property of The Claremont Colleges when the academic year ends, or upon revocation of privileges, or when a vehicle is found blocking a fire lane or loading dock, or creating a hazard to people or traffic. The cost of such removal and/or storage will be charged to the person in whose name the vehicle is registered.

Bicycle Regulations

All bicycles on campus must be licensed. You may register your bike online at National Bike Registry: http://www.nationalbikeregistry.com.

Bicycle riders must obey the same traffic laws as operators of motor vehicles.

Bicycles may not be ridden at night without a headlight on the front and a visible red reflector on the rear of the bicycle. Bicycles must also be equipped with reflectors visible from the side, red for the rear and yellow for the front.

Bicycles must be stored in your residence hall room or in a bike rack or other authorized bike storage location. It is recommended that you secure your bike with a “U”-type lock. Bicycles may not be locked or otherwise secured to handrails, furniture, trees, fences, poles, benches or stored in hallways, stairwells, lounges or balconies, etc.

Bicycles stored in unauthorized areas will be removed at the owners’ expense and without notice. To retrieve an impounded bicycle, you must provide ID, a detailed description of the bicycle, and proof of ownership to the Facilities staff at Story House. Note, confiscated bicycles which have not been properly licensed will not be returned until the proper license has been obtained.

Bicycles remaining on campus after Commencement and confiscated bicycles which have not been claimed by the end of the year will be donated.