Volume X: Information Technology Services
Chapter Workstations: Backup/Recovery of User Files on Network Servers
Approved by: Administrative Computing Committee (ACC)
History: Issued 9/20/1999; Revised 2/9/2009; Reformatted/Revised 12/14/2009
Related Polices: Department Technology Budget Upgrades, Faculty Technology Budget Upgrades, Purchase of Obsolete Workstation from the College, Replacement Cycle of Workstations, Staff Upgrade Budget, Standard Faculty and Staff Workstation Screen-Saver Policy, Standard Staff Printer Hardware Configuration, Standard Workstation Hardware and Software Configuration
Additional References: N/A
Responsible Official: Office of Information Technology Services
I. Policy Statement
- To outline the use of network servers for storage, backup and recovery of user files.
II. Entities Covered by this Policy
- All students, faculty, and staff at Claremont McKenna College
Direct any questions about this policy to your department’s supervisor. Questions about specific issues may be addressed to the Cheif Technology Officer (909-607-1553).
- Students, faculty and staff of Claremont McKenna College who have college network accounts also have a file storage folder allocated for their account on a network server. This storage area is usually referred to as the user’s “U: drive”; and, when the user successfully logs on to their workstation, a network connection is established to the folder that can then be accessed as the U: drive. Files can be copied from the user’s workstation to their U: drive, or Word and Excel may be configured to save files directly to the U: drive.
The following will summarize the procedures for backup and recovery of user files.
- Use of U: Drive
In order to be able to recover lost data for students, faculty and staff who have College network accounts, their files must be saved on the U: drive. Files on the user’s local workstation drive may not be recoverable if the drive fails.
- File Backup
Changed files on the U: drive folders are backed up each weekday night. All files on the U: drive folders are backed up each weekend.
- Off-site Storage
In order to provide disaster recovery capability, backup media are sent to a secure off-site storage facility. Each Friday morning, the backup media created during the previous weekend are cataloged and transferred to our on-site location for one week storage. The backup media stored on-site created two weeks prior are then sent to off-site storage for four weeks every Friday morning. Semi-annual backup media created at the beginning of the year are stored indefinitely at the off-site storage facility.
- File Recovery
In order to have a file restored from the backup media, the user should contact Information Technology Services and provide as much of the following information as possible:
- College network user name, the user’s full name and telephone extension.
- Indicate the date of the last known good version of the file - this will help identify the set of backup tapes to use in attempting to restore the file.
- The filename of the file to be restored and, if possible, the folder on the user’s U: drive in which it was located.
If the necessary backup media is on-site, files can usually be restored within 1-2 business days. If the backup media has been sent to off-site storage, it can be recalled without charge on a scheduled Friday pickup/delivery. In order to recall a tape on the regular Friday delivery, the request should be submitted to Information Technology Services by 12:00 noon on Thursday. Emergency requests for return of tapes from the off-site facility can usually be accommodated within a few hours, but there is a significant charge for this service. The individual’s department will be billed for this additional service charge.